Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What next?

Bif, in the comments for the preceding post, asked me what I am planning to do if I pass or fail the bar. This is a question that I have been giving a lot of thought to during the last couple of weeks and one that I will address over the next couple of weeks.

I’ve addressed touched upon here and there, but never hit head on. To make a long story short, I’m about 99% sure that I’m going to ditch the law and pursue a career in another field. This issue is highly complicated for me and is something that I will attempt to unravel over the next couple of weeks in this blog. It would be a lie to say that failing the bar had no impact on this decision, as it most certainly has. It’s too early to say whether or not I am viewing everything through the prism of bar failure and in the context of the long hard slog that is waiting for my results at the end of May.

I am beginning to think that maybe failing the bar might be the best thing that could have happened to me. Had I passed the bar, I would be more or less stuck in a career trajectory that increasingly holds little interest to me. Even before failing, I had pretty much grown to detest the law with the type of passion usually reserved for lima beans and a certain Texan currently occupying a big white house. I robotically marched into law school armed with a certainty bred sometime in middle school that I wanted to be an attorney. Now, I’ve been able to research and look for jobs that I might actually enjoy and may end up paying more than law.

Anyway, to answer Bif’s question, I am taking the next couple of months before results come out to aggressively look for a non-law job. If I find something I like then I’m going to run with it and forget about law. If I find something, discover I don’t like it, but pass the bar then I can use law as a back up. If I don’t find something outside of law and pass the bar, then once results come out I’ll throw myself wholeheartedly back into the law track. I think what I’m really trying to say (massive hangover seems to be killing any clarity at the moment) is that I don’t want to be caught with my pants down. There is no way I will write the bar a third time, so if I don’t pass I want to be sure that I have something lined up ahead of time so that I'm not left scrambling when results come out.

14 comments:

biff said...

I've always wanted to take a run at becoming a professional golfer. If only I knew how to golf.

Blonde Blogger said...

I should have gone to beauty school...but it looks like if I fail again, I am stuck as a paralegal. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about what you will do if you obtain a non-legal job in these next couple of months and then find that you have indeed passed the bar? Will you still leave your current position?

I'm in a similar position, and I'm debating how to move forward. Although I dislike the practice of law, I would feel bad choosing to leave my firm after having been supported by them during my re-taking of the bar.

Berita Bola said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it…. Jadwal Bola Prediksi Bola

Agen Ibcbet said...

Thanks combination of suitable and useful information and well-written sentences that will certainly entice your sense.There are so multiple comments here that are really entertaining and conducive to me thanks for sharing a link especially for sharing this blog.

Unknown said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
Ffcohio.org
Sourceforge.net
Impression5.org

Unknown said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Gravatar.com
Click Here

Indi Host said...

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

iMaker
Coolous

Ariana Richardo said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Website
Information

Robert Howard said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

Information
Click Here
Steepster.com

Selena patterson said...

Hello there, I discovered your site by the use of Google whilst searching for a similar subject, your site got here up, it seems to be great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply was alert to your weblog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Many folks can be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

BET Facts
Dream BET

Rezalo kacose said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Click Here
Visit Web
Vlchronicles.com

Zacla Jarok said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Yeezylegitcheck.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Rifal Kurni said...

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Parkbench.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web