Thursday, March 8, 2007

The (non-law job) hunt begins

Starting to take stock of what exactly I can do with my law degree besides actually practice law (regardless of whether or not the miracle occurs on the 25th of May). During my second year I used my Westlaw points to buy a book on jobs for lawyers who don't want to practice law anymore (the exact title of the book escapes me, something along the lines of "fleeing from the law." I discovered that the book was filled with nothing but platitudes and self evident advice such as: make a flowchart diagramming your interests, determination is the key to success, and follow your dreams. After 20 minutes or so, I decided that the book utterly worthless and then put it to better use as a means to maintain the structural integrity of my bed frame.

Nevertheless, I went to the library today and found a copy of a different book entitled, "What Can You Do with a Law Degree." After another 20 minutes of skimming this book I came away even less impressed then the first book. Basically it seems that I'm pretty much confined to the following jobs outside of law: school teacher, some sort of government job, and consulting.

Although I'm sure that I would love being a school teacher (I really miss summer vacation) and might even find it rewarding, I know that there is no way that I could pay down my student debt with the pittance that teachers make. Also I have no desire to go back to school, so this is clearly not a viable option. Working for the state government is also not an option as I know there isn't enough money in the world to make me move to Sacramento so that I can bake to death while pushing papers up and down the bureaucracy. I had previously given some thought to moving to DC to work in government, but am not particularly anxious to leave the Bay Area. Again, student loans are a huge hindrance in pursuing any noble ambition to pursue a career in the public sector. So I guess that leaves consulting as the only viable choice from the book. Don't have a particularly solid understanding as to what exactly consulting entails, but I do know that there are hundreds of consulting firms in in my area, so maybe I'll investigate this angle further.

7 comments:

Judi Bola said...

Thanks combination of suitable and useful information and well-written sentences that will certainly entice your sense.There are so multiple comments here that are really entertaining and conducive to me thanks for sharing a link especially for sharing this blog. Judi Bola

Unknown said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well
Ffcohio.org
Sourceforge.net
Impression5.org

Lacy Wesley said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!… Information Information Information

Unknown said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Website
Information

Ariana Richardo said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Website
Information

Robert Howard said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Click Here
My.vienna.at
Website

Cial Fseal said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Mibotanicals.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web