Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The curse of the JD

Going into law school, I bought into the conventional wisdom that you can pretty much take a JD anywhere outside of the law. Now, nearly a week into my non-law job search, I can honestly say that having a law degree is a very mixed bag, and in many ways more of a curse than a blessing.
The short version is that I've been warned repeatedly that although many employers will look favorably at my JD, most will be wary of hiring me (or any other newly minted JD) as I am both over and under qualified for pretty much every non-law job out there.

I'm under qualified because I've spent the last three years in law school and thus do not have the only thing that seems to count at this stage in the game, actual experience. This puts me at an obvious disadvantage as most of my peers, who did not go to grad school, have 3+ years of actual work experience. Although I have considerable experience working in a variety of legal and political/public policy settings, I do not have any experience working in the business world, and am thus at a serious competitive disadvantage.

I'm also over qualified because I have an advanced degree, so that many employers will typecast me as either an arrogant blowhard/know-it-all or as someone who is looking for the type of compensation that reflects my JD but not my actual experience. Thus, many employers may view me as potentially being an expensive headache before bothering to conduct an interview.

In light of this problem, I think there is really only one approach I can take. I'm only going to apply for entry-level jobs and then stress my willingness/desire to start at the bottom and work my way up. I don't mind doing this as long as I believe that a given job has the potential for rapid advancement and compensation. Hopefully this approach will work.

10 comments:

Taruhan Bola said...

You should comment on the competition comparison of the blog. You can highlight it's mind boggling. Your blog exploration/tour will broaden your conversions.

Unknown said...

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Gust.com
Click Here

Indi Host said...

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

Digger
Scalemaze

Ariana Richardo said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next.

Website
Information

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr said...

https://failingthebar.blogspot.com/2007/03/curse-of-jd.html?showComment=1555232558869#c8570381879734476174

Robert Howard said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Twittbot.net
Website
Information

Selena patterson said...

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you just could do with a few percent to drive the message house a little bit, however other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

BET Facts
Dream BET

bobbyrhodes said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!

Click Here
Visit Web
Allaboutcfd-tomersblog.com

Maliko Yarise said...

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

Pinoysplunkers.org
Information
Click Here

Zafran Yoda said...

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Datafutures.org
Information
Click Here
Visit Web