Friday, March 2, 2007

Enter the real world

Now that the bar is done, its time for me to start facing a variety of issues that I've been able to put off until now. I have a job, but barely. My firm has been going through a significant period of instability, and so I'm not sure what I'll be walking into when I go back to work sometime next week.

Also, I've been giving a lot of thought to abandoning law as a career. On one hand I'd say that any feelings about wanting to drop the law are currently influenced by the misery that was the bar. But it is something that I've been giving a tremendous amount of thought to over the last 6 months. I'll post more on this later, but the short version is that in light of the instability at my firm, and the fact that I can't say for sure whether or not I passed this time, I want to make sure that I'm not caught with my pants down in May when the results come out.

If either my firm collapses, or I don't pass, I'll need to find a new job ASAP. I need to start paying down my loans, plus I don't think I want to practice law bad enough to go through another bar, with new subjects, and go further into debt during the process. More importantly, I've really started to despise the law. I never got into it during law school, and although I like the actual practice of law, I don't think I'm driven by an overwhelming passion to pursue this career choice at all costs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a career option. But did you know that lots of fake lawyers post ads in the Chinese yellow pages? They are fake Chinese lawyers without any degrees or licenses who just fill out paperwork (like immigration stuff) for people. They are dirty twats.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're referring to the unlicensed attorney's as 'twats,' and wasn't meant as an insult to the Chinese community as a whole.

Blonde Blogger said...

I feel your pain...I am a second time taker that is still working in the law, but you are the third person I have read that is considering abandoning the law. I don't think I am taking that damn test again, so I don't blame you.

God, that bar exam sucked. And here is another shitty question that I have heard 6 million times since last Thursday..."So, have you found out yet?" NO!!!

Indi Host said...

I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Website
Information

Robert Howard said...

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Information
Click Here
Steepster.com/