Monday, February 26, 2007

A few suggestions

Just a few quick suggestions/tips for anyone who is taking the bar for the first time.

  1. Use earplugs: For me these are essential to block out the random noises during the bar (countdown timers going off, chairs shuffling, etc), but, more importantly, to avoid having to listen to the brazen idiots who insist on talking about how they memorized the entire probate code and how they managed to study 20 hours a day. These assholes will also insist on broadcasting to the world how they managed to find and discuss all sorts of random and highly obtuse issues in the essays. Earplugs won’t totally block these people out, but they certainly help. Kmack has another good reason to use earplugs.
  2. Time: expect that no portion of the exam will start on-time. More importantly, expect to have very little time between the morning exam and the start of the afternoon exam for lunch. The proctors work at a snails pace and in doing so pretty much ruin any chance of getting the full lunch break.
  3. Lunch: Bring one. I ran out of balance bars/cliff bars on the third day, I had to wait in a ridiculously long line to get a sandwich that only made me extremely tired for the afternoon exam. I don’t get hungry when I’m stressed, but I forced myself to eat a couple of balance bars which gave me just enough energy to get through the afternoon without making me tired. Also, if your taking the test in Oakland plan for the fact that there isn’t a lot of quick food options that won’t be swamped with test takers and the business crowd, so plan accordingly.
  4. Smoking: If you are a smoker and you know that you desperately crave cigarettes when stressed, go buy the patch or the nicotine lozenges for the exam. They really take the edge off, and I also find that they help maintain my general level of alertness. If you haven’t used either, test them out today, some people can’t stand the lozenges, so make sure you can tolerate them. If you get the patch, take it off a good hour before you go to sleep, as it gives many people extremely vivid nightmares/dreams.
  5. Stress: I know I’m supposed to say don’t stress etc. But expect it, we've all invested too much time in this not to. However, if you find yourself stressing during the exam or blanking out, just type anything. One of the model answers online, I forget which one, contains a verbatim recitation of the fact pattern from the exam. It’s pretty clear that the test taker most likely freaked out and just wrote out the facts before moving on to analyzing the exam. I know many people disagree, and argue that you need to be as succinct as possible, and while brevity is of course preferable to barfing on the page, not writing is really the only method guaranteed to fail. The one thing that really surprised me when writing the essays was how many obscure rules and exceptions I found naturally coming to me when reading the fact patterns. Everyone feels that they don’t know anything, but I think you’ll be surprised to find out just how much you know.

Anyway, just my two cents worth, best of luck to everyone!

P.S. N at Clearing the Bar (Exam) has some excellent suggestions as well.


12 comments:

Berita Bola said...

You may post on the professional credentials for the blog owner. You could express it's outstanding. Your blog experience can springboard your click through. Jadwal Bola Klasemen Liga Inggris

Unknown said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
Themaffia.be
Mygeohub.org
Regione.marche.it

Ariana Richardo said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Website
Information

Ariana Richardo said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

Click Here
Sketchfab.com
Website

Ariana Richardo said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Click Here
Wordpress.org
Website

Yudafa Fajir said...

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Plugins.w-academy.dk
Information
Click Here

Gabriella Jackson said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Information
Click Here
Visit Web

MariyamSimones said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith.


Newworldtube.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Manila said...

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Levi Fisher said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Tiede.fi
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

MarkNelson said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Hoconrua.net
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

bobbyrhodes said...

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss. Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Stonly.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web