Monday, November 20, 2006

Day 4 - What Next?

After arriving at work today I was immediately ushered into my supervisor’s office to discuss “my future at the firm.” I spent the weekend more or less dreading this moment, as I was pretty sure that I would be unemployed by Monday afternoon. I work for a small law firm that operates in a highly specialized area of the law. I was expecting to continue working as an associate after the bar, but also had the distinct impression that I would lose my job should I manage to fail the bar.

Fortunately, I learned this morning that I wouldn’t be let go and that they will continue to pay for my health insurance and gym membership when I take time off to study for the February exam. Naturally, this brought up a whole new line of questions that I had tried to avoid during the weekend. What the hell am I going to do about studying for the bar a second time?

They asked me if I was going to take time off or work part time, I have no idea. I spent the morning on the train trying to figure out if I wanted to try to find an alternative career and avoid re-writing the bar. This idea is rather appealing, except for the fact that I’m afraid that I’ll constantly have nagging feelings of failure for the rest of my life. I have no idea what kind of job I could find and also wonder whether not being bar certified would hurt my non-law employment odds or be seen as some sort of intellectual failure on my part. I more or less put this idea to rest, but have no idea what the hell I’m going to do about the February bar.

Do I want/need to take the monumental rip-off otherwise known as Bar/Bri again? The idea of listening to Professor Whitebread say “review Californians review” a million more times is not particularly appealing. But then again, do I really have a choice? And if I do re-do Bar/Bri, should I take the entire time off? My sense, borne out of the sheer desire to never have to do this again, is that I should suck it up and take the entire time off. I don’t know, I need to pony up another small fortune to the California Bar for the privilege of writing this test a second time by the end of the month, but I guess I can figure this one out while tuning out all the advice I’m sure to receive during Thanksgiving dinner.

3 comments:

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

I'm now not sure the place you are getting your information, but good topic. I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

Unknown said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Click Here
Dcurbanmom.com

Ian Sheard said...

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

Website
Information