Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wearing thin

A commenter from the last post pointed to two of the more irritating questions that I’m sure we have all been getting as Friday rapidily approaches:

Damn straight about it being a crapshoot. That's my standard response for all the a-holes who ask "How do you think it went? Did you feel better than last time?" (I love a lot of these people but am ready to take swings at them when they ask me those questions.)

To what should be a running list of banned questions and/or comments I’d add “are you nervous,” and that class of anecdotes invariably involving someone’s uncle who had a cousin who had a friend who failed three plus times only to end up making millions as a dog bite attorney, or some shit like that. I’m also growing tired hearing the endless tidbits of trivia involving the former dean of Stanford, JFK, Hillary Clinton, Antonio Villaraigosa, or any other public figure who previously failed the bar.

I realize that it must be extraordinarily hard to relate to a relative, close friend, or whomever concerning something as arcane and obtuse as failing the bar. I always try to give the most noncommittal answers possible when placed in a corner and forced to talk about the bar. I know that 99% of the questions, comments, and unsolicited advice are probably made with the best of intentions, but whatever level of patience I once had for these naïve, albeit, well meaning questions is wearing awfully thin at this stage of the game.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Did you pass?" "How did you do on the exam?" UGH. Some people mean well and those are the ones who back off when you tell them you don't want to talk about it.

But if you can belive it, I once had someone ask me that in a CHRISTMAS CARD. Can you believe that? No wonder she's no longer a close friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, if someone mentions the JFK Jr. tidbit to me ONE more time I am going to go batty! I'm not even telling a soul other than my husband, best friends, and immediate family that I'm taking the bar again, just to avoid those annoying questions.

Blonde Blogger said...

SERIOUSLY!! I posted about the exact same thing. I don't give a shit about JFK, Jr.

http://barredforlife.blogspot.com/2007/04/ok-listen-up-peeps.html

Free Betting Prediction said...

Its such as you scan my mind! You appear to grasp such a lot regarding this, such as you wrote the book in it or one thing. i believe that you just may do with some pics to drive the message home to a small degree, however apart from that, this is often nice journal. an excellent scan. Online Betting House

Iymsportsradio.com said...

I think more updates and will be returning. I have filtered for qualified edifying substance of this calibre all through the past various hours. Conejovalleyhousing.com

Unknown said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…
Aficonsultingsrl.com
Dwa.gov.za
Thepearlcolumbus.com

Unknown said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Information
Website

Ariana Richardo said...

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Behance.net
Website
Information

Ilham Liya said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Enlinea.unitex.edu.mx
Information
Click Here

Asola YOb said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Abet lenato said...

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Information
Click Here
Visit Web