Friday, May 4, 2007

A wasted year?

I think the scariest/worst aspect of failing the bar is the sheer amount of time that is wasted as a result. At about this time last year I was skating through a bunch of bullshit classes that I knew even less about then, than I do know. I was getting ready to graduate, to enjoy my two days of vacation between the end of law school and the start of PMRB, and was generally trying not to think too hard about the eternal boredom and monotony that I knew would be my 6 week journey through BarBri.

I have to say that it feels like some sort of sick joke that I’m less than 10 days away from my 1 year PMBR anniversary, and that I will have blown an entire year of my life alternatively studying, waiting, obsessing, dreaming, and thinking about the bar before I actually find out whether I passed this time around. With the exception of infancy, I don’t think I’ve ever accomplished less over the course of a year in my life. I’d love to be able to say on some sort of meta level that I’ve learned a lot about myself during the past year or some bullshit like that, but the reality of it is that the only things that have changed is the calendar, my bank account, and probably a bunch of other things that are too depressing to think about. Maybe in 10 years I’ll look back on this whole experience and be able to laugh, or extract some pearl of wisdom from this whole ordeal, but from my current perch I fail to see how this can be seen as anything other than a blown year.

This entire experience has been one never-ending string of humiliation, gut-checks, and frustration. One very astute commenter wrote, "[t]his hell is not something I would ever wish on anyone, even my worst enemy. Wait, lately that seems to be me." I really couldn't agree more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I couldn't agree more. This has been a total waste of time. Most of my friends in the same position have all been talking about it as well. Good luck, can't wait for this to be over.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you. I can't help but sit here and think that exactly 1 year ago today, I had finished all of my finals, was about to recieve the best grades of my law school career and was waiting on the hoardes of family and friends to arrive throughout the week for my graduation from law school.

Those days might as well be 10 years ago because ever since 6:01 pm on November 17, 2006, my life, bank account, confidence, self-perception and everything else has been turned completely upside down.

It's like I walk around with an albatross of shame, guilt and embarrasement dangling from my neck. Add to that the fact that I'm not sure February 2007 went much better, and you've got one recipe for misery. The problem is I can't seem to find anyone who is also going through this--good thing for the internet.

Please keep posting...

Blonde Blogger said...

I could not agree more with both anonymous posts above. GOD!!! I can't wait for this to be over....

Here is a dumb question....do applicants that took the CA bar in other states find out before we do?

cg-c said...

Well, as one with too much experience, I can say that eventually you will gain perspective. It took me almost 3 years out of law school and 5 exams to pass (3 in CA, 2 in WA), but I finally did it.

Never think of this time as wasted; you did what you felt was right at the time, and eventually you will extract something - even if it's only that you were more tenacious and stubborn and unwilling to quit that you ever thought possible.

You're going to do fine, tiger, just FINE!!!

Lacy Wesley said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog? Information Information Information

Indi Host said...

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Website
Information

Ariana Richardo said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Behance.net
Website
Information