Monday, May 7, 2007

A few things I've been wondering about

During the past year, I’ve spent a lot of time wondering how failing the bar might affect my future career and/or job prospects moving forward. I don’t know if it fades in importance after a couple of years or will always loom somewhere in the background.

I’ve also been giving a lot of thought to what might happen if I fail this time, but ultimately pass on the third try. I have a hard time imagining that a firm would give me the time of day, much less hire me, if it took me three times to pass, and thus I question whether taking the bar a 3rd time would be tantamount to throwing good money after bad. I wonder how the average hiring partner/office manager responds when confronted with two equally qualified individuals but where it is obvious from the face on one of the resumes that one of the applicants has failed the bar one or two times. If passing after the 3rd attempt would basically kill any chance of a decent job, then I don’t really see the point of putting myself in the position to compete for the triple crown.

It’s really shocking how little information there is concerning what happens to individuals such as ourselves one, two or three years after failing. I tried calling law career services at my school to ask them some of these questions, and was blown away by their total inability to answer any basic questions. It was pretty clear that they’ve never really thought about any of this, or if they had, couldn’t give a shit about it.

I’m really curious if anyone out there has any comments, ideas, or anecdotes. I know many might ask why I’m bothering with these questions before learning whether I passed or not. This is a fair question. I think right now the only thing that is keeping me moderately sane is trying to address these questions before they become actual issues.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your post, I called the law career people at my law school. They didn't have any information or seem to know anything either. Can't believe they get paid for being so unhelpful.

biff said...

I dont know what happens, but if it were me, I'd try another state.

legis said...

First I'd like to thank you for linking my post. I'm always glad to know that something I've written has been helpful.

I'm going to respond to this query soon on my blog. This is definitely something that retakers need to think about...

Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq. said...

Dear A.F.:

I tell any candidate that will listen that the only reason the bar pass rate is less than 100% is that some candidates give up. In my case, it took multiple exams to pass the hazing, but I did, and so will you.

How will multiple attempts impact your job prospects? I don't know directly since I'm a successful solo practitioner, but I'd estimate that some snobbish firms will exclude anyone that [gasp!] didn't pass the first time, and didn't come from the right school, and doesn't use a first initial and full middle name.

You make your own luck...mostly by sweat.

Don't give up...never give up!

Jonathan Kramer, Esq.
PassTheBarExam.com

Anonymous said...

Dear A.F.--
Speaking from one potential future, I can tell you that I failed the California Bar Exam multiple times, then moved to an "easier" state and blew the damn exam out of the water. If you don't pass this time, sign up for Florida IMMEDIATELY, get the Florida books off e-bay, and take it in July. No character and fitness required ahead of time, and you'll have a passing score by September. Then, you can work on Florida's character and fitness and study for California until the cows come home without having to worry about any larger gaps between graduation and first bar admission.
I wouldn't be so insistent on this matter if I hadn't been through it myself. I wish someone in my position was available when I was in yours to tell me exactly what I just told you above. You'll thank me later. Trust me.

Good luck,

Ghost of Calbar Future

Asia Travel Tips said...

Thanks such a lot with this fantastic new internet site. I’m terribly unemployed up to point out it to anyone. It makes American state therefore glad your Brobdingnagian understanding and knowledge have a brand new channel for attempting into the globe. Student Travel

Concursos-online.com said...

To create a such kind of article is really amazing,I daily read your blogs and give my announcement for that here this article is too great and so entertaining. Marchorowitz.org

Indi Host said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Click Here
Profile.ameba.jp

Miguel Long said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Click Here
Visit Web

AugustCollects said...

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Dailyjobglobal.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

MarkNelson said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Emergenzadebiti.eu
Information
Click Here
Visit Web