Thursday, May 24, 2007

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst

Studied Ignorance posted earlier on the issue of checking results alone or with others. Personally, I’m going to go with a plan similar to hers, with a few minor variations.

For the first time in months, I re-read my posts written immediately after failing and was instantly reminded of just how miserable that evening was. Although I did prepare for potentially bad news by getting fall down drunk, this did little other then somewhat mute the general shittiness of the evening. But as bad as the evening was, I think it would have been much worse had I elected to check results with a group.

I have a friend who got together with his study group to have drinks and check results together. Unfortunately for both him and the group, he was the one present who failed. Needless to say, it turned out to be a pretty shitty evening for him even though the group did everything they could to console him, and keep their celebrations to a minimum.

Tonight, I’m going to pack my survival kit for tomorrow, largely consisting of hotel size bottles of scotch, a pack of smokes, a bottle of Tylenol, and an energy bar. I’m guessing that my tolerance for the real world (i.e., work) will be exhausted by lunchtime, at which point I’m going to develop a sudden case of stomach flue, and then proceed to the nearest outdoor bar where I’ll pretend to read a book, chain smoke, and hope that the afternoon passes somewhat quickly.

I've been dreading the momentary pause that comes after hitting the submit button but before the the results page appears for far longer then I'd care to think about. Whether I pass or fail, I'll call my parents, and then send a text message to the few people I know who also took the exam. Either way, I'm guessing that I'll have the mother of all hangovers on Saturday.

13 comments:

biff said...

Sounds like the anticipation is worse than anything. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

(Same commenter as last post with the irritating ?s)

Something else to add to the list: People who are not imwediate family or my close friends (they all know better) telling me "You have to call them when you found out." Um, no.

I remember last time a co-worker who's wife had also taken the July 06 bar (and passed) called my cell phone the night results came out. I thought it was entirely inappropriate and it irritated the f*** out of me. The call came before I checked but I of course did not answer it.

Yeah, today really blows.

Blonde Blogger said...

Is it wrong to drink before noon? I am sending good thoughts to you!

Anonymous Failee said...

Its never too early to start drinking on a day like this.

Elleandelle.com said...

I have not much time to visit many websites. But today I found this site accidently. I explored much information which is useful to my life. Thanks! Nctobaccofreeschools.com

Lacy Wesley said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. Taruhan Olahraga Horse Betting Strategy Tips Latihan Kriket

Indi Host said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Click Here
Myfolio.com

Salsabila said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…
Sudutz.com

Haconi Siha said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Click Here
Visit Web

Dora Shaw said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Conifer.rhizome.org
Information
Click Here

Yudafa Fajir said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

Emoneyspace.com
Information
Click Here

Owen oliver said...

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Information
Click Here
Visit Web

NatalieMason said...

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Bridalexposure.com
Information
Click Here