Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Student loans run amok

Don’t know if any of you caught this, but yesterday the New York Times wrote an article about private student loans and culinary schools. These passages jumped out at me:

[W]ould-be top chefs face a challenge that most lawyers, engineers or nurses do not: few jobs in their chosen field pay enough for them to retire their student loans. As a result, as many as 11 percent of graduates at some culinary schools are defaulting on federal student loans. The national average for all students last year was roughly half that, at 5.1 percent.

* * *

Many of the schools offer two-year programs where the total tuition and supply costs can reach $48,000. Only a slice of that is covered by low-interest federal loans. For example, the most that students in two-year programs can currently borrow in federal loans is $14,125.

So many of them seek money from banks that are usually recommended by the school. The terms on some of these private loans can quickly get a young person with little borrowing experience into financial trouble.

Mr. Park said that when he and his mother met with a financial-aid counselor at the school, they were told that his payments on his private loan, from Sallie Mae, would be about $250 a month. But his first bill after graduation was for more than twice that, said his mother, Elise McClain, an English professor in Florida. They twice requested payment deferments while he looked for a job but when they began repaying the loan, both his principal and his monthly payment had risen again. The balance is now $46,198.88 at just over 16 percent interest.

The private student loan industry is practically begging for regulation. The fact that some of them are charging 16% interest on tuition towards a career that pays so little is totally insane. I’m all for making money, but certainly not on the backs of students at 10-16% interest...

13 comments:

legis said...

regulation for private lenders is coming due. Thank goodness I didn't take out too many private loans. When I have extra money to put toward loans, I always put those toward the private ones.

By the way, I respond to your post below here.

133sports.com said...

I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it. Deafsp-sa.com

Lacy Wesley said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon. Information Information Information

Indi Host said...

I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Website
Information

Ariana Richardo said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Click Here
Sketchfab.com
Website

Ilham Liya said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

Visit Web
Bridalexposure.com
Information

Daisy Lowe said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Iamerinelizabeth.com
Information
Click Here

Jackie Austin said...

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Instabio.cc
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Chand Mason said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Aytoloja.org
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Gabriella Jackson said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Devpost.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Daisy Lowe said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Everythincars.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Dora Shaw said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Profile.hatena.ne.jp
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

LeviFisher said...

I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Battlebrothersgame.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web